When someone asks if you play poker, they generally mean Texas Hold’em. It is of course the poker variation that is played in the World Series of Poker Main Event. However, there are many versions of poker beyond No Limit Hold’em. Some poker players like to stick to one game whilst others play many different poker variants.
Most online poker games can be divided into one of the following categories:
- Stud Poker – The most common games of this type are Five-card Stud and Seven-card Stud. Players receive both face-down cards and face-up cards, with multiple rounds of betting taking place.
- Draw Poker – Five-card draw is the most common example of this game. Players receive a full hand, face-down, and may discard and redraw a set number of cards.
- Community Card Poker – Texas Hold’em and Omaha are the most popular examples. Shared cards are dealt face-up, while each player also receives a certain number of face-down cards. Community cards and cards in the player’s hand are combined to make the best possible poker hand.
Other common poker variants include:
- Lowball – In games such as Razz, the lowest poker hand wins the pot.
- High-Low Split – The highest and lowest hands split the pot.
- Pai Gow Poker – Player and dealer are dealt seven cards. The player must make a five-card hand and a two-card hand. To win, both of the player’s hands must beat the dealer’s hands.
These poker games can sometimes be played in land-based poker rooms. As you’d expect, it’s the more popular poker variants that can most often be be found at online poker rooms. Texas Hold’em and Omaha are the games you’re most likely to find in your favorite online poker site’s lobby, however, don’t let this discourage you from trying out other variations of poker, including mixed games such as HORSE (which allow you to play multiple poker variants at the same time). Just expect to find less tables to join for the less commonly played poker games.